Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Movie Mush: Engeyum Kadhal

I was about to go to theater and watch this movie, but since my friends told me that it is 'mokkai', I decided to merely download and watch it. And, surprisingly, I found it good. Whether it is because I watched it with very low expectations or maybe because the movie is actually good, I am not sure.


The movie is about a young Indian business man Kamal ('Jeyam' Ravi) - a playboy - who falls for an NRI girl Kayal (Hanssika Motwaani) with good cultural values. The whole movie is shot in Paris, which, in itself adds a refreshing tone to the movie. The cinematography is excellent and all the songs are beautifully shot. Especially, the 'Engeyum Kaadhal' and 'Nangai' songs are well choreographed. Jeyam Ravi plays a rich young businessman perfectly and Hansika seems to be the new chubby girl of Kollywood. Together, they make a cute couple and I didn't get bored of watching them, as many of my friends said they did. Most of the songs are intelligently placed throughout the movie except perhaps the 'Nenjil Nenjil' number.


Now coming to the minuses, one doesn't understand why Prakashraj has been wasted in the movie with just two unnecessary scenes. And, a few sequences are copied from Bollywood movies of the past - like the scene where Raju Sundaram gets robbed by a woman and he is left gagged in his room sans all his clothes is an outright copy of a similar scene in Dil Chahta Hai and the song 'Dhimu Dhimu' reminds you of the popular 'Ye Dooriyan' song. In fact, the whole movie seems to be inspired by the new generation Bollywood movies where the whole story happens in a foreign country. It started with 'Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Ghum' back in 2001. Now, kollywood seems to be catching up as well.


All in all, if you can digest a few loop holes and suspend your disbelief in the climax where a dove united the two lovers, you will certainly not find this movie boring.


Go without expectations and enjoy 'Engeyum Kaadhal'.

I give it a decent 6/10.

3 comments:

  1. Superb review ma friend..! i also felt the same,but i saw it in theatre coz i always believe myself than other.. i was worth it,more of i liked.. was a good movie..!! i will give a decent 7/10.. Engeyum kadhal was a very good movie provided u get into without any expections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice ...... i meant ur review !1

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks to both of you; while so many friends openly criticised my liking for this movie, I'm glad that I have supporters as well..! Thanks... :)

    ReplyDelete