Tuesday, February 8, 2011

10 Best Movies to Watch on Valentine's Day

I'm single for this Valentine's day, but that wouldn't stop me from contributing to the world, my due for this Valentine's Day: my list of 10 movies to watch for this Valentine's Day.

It is always tough to choose just 10 movies among a whole pack of movies that you've seen. However, this is my list and it may or may not be acceptable to others. But I have short-listed the movies based on how much they touched my heart on the first viewing. I've only considered those movies that were released after 1990, because I believe that such a comparison would be unfair.


1. Eternal Sunshine Of the Spotless Mind


Outweighing all its contenders purely due to the way it stirred my heart the first time I saw it. I've seen it 3 times till now and it has feels refreshing every time I watch it! Contains fine performances from Kate Winslet, Jim Carrey and Mark Ruffalo..

2. My Sassy Girl

It was the first Korean movie that I saw and I instantly fell in love with it. The two lead characters have been brilliantly portrayed by Tae-hyun Cha and Gianna Jun. Splendid cinematography and direction makes the movie a treat to watch. And the movie has a heart-warming climax. Its English remake sucks big time compared to the original and I'd recommend you to better watch the Korean one.


3. The Notebook


This is, perhaps, the ideal movie to watch with your valentine. I could have simply written it off a just another mushy romantic movie had I not patiently waited for the climax. It is a triangular love story with enough passionate kissing and cuddling to keep the average moviegoer glued to the first half. But as things fall apart in the second half between the couple, you too start getting restless. But then came the climax: The most touching final twenty minutes that I've ever seen in cinema. It impressed me so much that I watched the other three movies of the writer Nicholas Sparks as well (but it was a disappointing attempt, I must add)!

4. Titanic


Everyone would have watched this classic at least once. Career defining performances from Kate Winslet and Leonardo Di Caprio. I know people who've watched this movie more than 50 times!! An obvious and popular choice..




5. P.S. I Love You


This is a story which started off with an intensely passionate scene between the lead pair followed by the sudden death the male lead (Gerard Butler), who leaves a series of letters to be delivered to the female lead at regular intervals after his death. The entire story revolves around how the female lead (played brilliantly by Hilary Swank) learns to cope up with his death. If you thought that this movie would slip and slop towards a melodramatic climax, well, no! There was not one dull moment in this movie and it is a definite choice to watch on this Valentine's Day.


6. Before Sunrise


Now this is real romance. Unlike the usual hollywood romantic movies, it has lesser intimate scenes and more swear words (and to think that it was rated R for some 10 f-words!). It is a honest, straight forward look into a relationship between a man and a woman. And how beautifully has the romance between the lead pair been captured! I just loved this movie!




7. Before Sunset


How often have you seen a sequel not being as good as the original or the sequel just keeps being repetitive or boring and adds nothing new to the original or even worse - the sequel tries too hard to be better that it spoils the franchise. Quite often, right? But not this one. This is a beautiful, totally believable sequel to an equally beautiful movie. Oh, how much i wanted to fall in love with someone when I watched this movie!! ;)


8.You've Got Mail:


Because, I'm a big fan of both Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. Because, the lead actors effortlessly pull off a charming show. Because, it shows the irony of two people who are enemies when they are face-to-face, yet they make the best of friends in the virtual world (of course, they don't know of their real identities online). Watch it, if you are a romantic. You may just love it!




9. Love Actually (2003)


I'm never really a big fan of rom-coms. But this one was surprisingly different. It follows the lives of eight very different couples in dealing with their love lives in various loosely and interrelated tales all set during a frantic month before Christmas in London, England. It covers most types of love stories that you'd usually come across and tells each of them in a funny manner, which is what I like very much about this movie. If you are looking for a different kind of romantic movie to watch this Valentine's day, then this is it..!



10. Notting Hill

The storyline of this movie gives an appearance as if this movie is gonna be a melodramatic affair: "The life of a simple bookshop owner changes when he meets the most famous film star in the world." But one day, I was too bored and decided to give it a look. And how wrong had I been!! Except the story itself, there is nothing you can call larger-than-life. Funny, interesting and with a well crafted storyline, there isn't a dull moment in this flick and it's definitely worth a watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment